Skip to content
- A Staging of Snow Geese by Barry Lopez
- Lopez visits one of the greatest wildlife spectacles in California, the annual migration of snow geese in Tulelake.
- Total Eclipse by Annie Dillard
- A stunning, somewhat terrifying description of a total eclipse in Washington.
- The Hiding Place by Robert MacFarlane
- An excerpt from Underland, MacFarlane’s “exploration of deep time.” How do we dispose of nuclear waste? Are we being good ancestors?
- Atchafalaya by John McPhee
- An excerpt from Control of Nature, this essay is about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ attempt to tame the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers.
- A Big Theory of Culture by Brian Eno
- Why do we “do culture?” By the musical icon and author of A Year with Swollen Appendices.
- A Kingdom from Dust by Mark Arax
- About Wonderful Foods’ dominance over California agriculture and the battle for water and resources.
- Seth’s Blog – Seth Godin’s daily blog about everything
- Wait but Why – Big ideas, irreverently explained
- Zen Habits – Self-improvement from a Zen perspective
- Farnam Street – Better thinking and decision-making through the use of mental models
- Akimbo – Seth Godin’s podcast about bending the culture
- The Knowledge Project – From Farnam Street, a podcast dedicated to timeless ideas and mental models.
- Ginny Burdick – Pastels, Oils and Watercolors focused on nature, particularly around California’s Sierra Nevada.
- Noelle Phares – Landscape and structure in symbiosis.